Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inspiration - French Sailors?

Well, not the sailors themselves...but their soft, striped shirts in off-white and navy blue. Apparently, Coco Chanel, who introduced women to lots of items of men's clothing, started wearing the shirts as early as 1917 (She is pictured above in 1930).

I can't remember exactly how old I was when I got my first sailor shirt but it was the softest thing I had ever worn. And the boat neckline was flattering and the 3/4 sleeves comfortable. So when I found the off-white vintage hoop beads and they reminded me of lifesavers (REAL life savers not the candy) I mixed them with navy blue beads in homage to those classic French sailor shirts! It's not quite as soft but it's as comfortable and casual as a necklace can get! PS It's called Nautical Necklace!

No comments:

Post a Comment