Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Interview for Such Cool Stuff Blog


I had so much fun answering the questions for the Such Cool Stuff blog feature that I have reprinted the interview below. I mean, who doesn't like talking about themselves?

"Suzanne of threepeats Jewelry creates necklaces and earrings using recycled vintage beads, chain, ribbon and lace (and new felted wool beads in select pieces). Her designs are long, light, easy to wear, and affordable. Each piece is handmade and unique!

Check out her "New for Spring" shop section for her latest line of jewelry incorporating bits of vintage lace and ribbon.

Tell me about how you originally got into your craft, Suzanne.
I have collected vintage jewelry for a long time. I admired the materials and craftsmanship, and I think it reminded me of pleasant hours spent rooting around my mother's jewelry box. About a year ago, when I realized I didn't wear any of it because it was too heavy or too tacky or too fragile, I decided to start selling it online to people who would wear it and use it.

Instead I started fooling around with taking apart some of the pieces and refashioning them into necklaces I would wear. As a dance teacher, I wanted to create a necklace that was long, light, easy to put on and take off and looked good no matter which part of it had slipped around my neck. I came up with the design of a claspless necklace with three sections of beads divided by three sections of chain...three repeated parts or threepeats! I wore the necklace and got compliments. I made necklaces for friends and family and got more compliments and the rest (shall we say) is history. When customers started asking for earrings, I began making them which was an excellent way to use up short sections of leftover chain and leftover beads!

What is your favorite thing to do in the whole wide world?
Travel! I spent a month in Australia and New Zealand last year...the trip of a lifetime...but there are so many other places I want to see.

What is your biggest challenge when it comes to running your shop?
Promotion. I'm not a natural "salesperson." And just when I think I've learned everything I need to know about social networking, someone invents something new.

What item in your shop would you most like to receive as a gift if someone were shopping for you?
My Soft Touch Necklace. It was the first time I added felted wool beads and vintage fabric to a necklace. I have to admit that sometimes I decide to keep things I've made to sell for myself!

When you were a kid, what did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
a veterinarian

What other shops or artists out there do you love?
I love the work at Dragon House of Yuen and the work at creative nuts, but there are so many and new ones all the time. I especially admire the artists who recycle unused or unwanted things into their work.

What does your future hold?
More travel (I hope) and more learning! I'd like to learn how to felt wool, crochet, weld metal, blow glass, play the piano and weave...oh and make risotto!

Visit threepeats Jewelry at Etsy. Suzanne will also be participating in the Vintage Indie Market (Spring/Summer 2009 Edition) which will run online from May 15th through July 15th. "

No comments:

Post a Comment